Saturday, April 21, 2012

Early Childhood Websites



Wikijunior is an  resource to use for finding nonfiction books/information for students from birth to 12.  The site is well organized and child friendly so that students can pick their titles easily.  Although some teachers steer away from sites that can be edited by students, Wikijunior would be a great place for students to get exposure to wikis in general. It could be used for teaching about website credibility and internet sources. I might also use this site for students who are not able to read through the extensive text of other websites but need to research / explore a topic.
NETS-S 1,2,3,4


The name "Hubbard's Cupboard" really caught my eye!  As I explored further, I was impressed with the idea of the literacy kits mentioned in the "Family Involvement" section. What a great way to guide parents in the direction their children need to go! Next year, I may put some kits together for my low level readers who would be really like to practice at home.
Next, I checked out the Social Studies section and explored the "Maps, Mail and Where I Live" unit.  Even though my students are older, they would still like some of the activities in the unit as well as reading children's books.  Topics covered in this unit are also covered in Gr. 7 Social Studies so I would be able to use Map, Mail and Where I Live as a modified unit for some of my special ed students. This was a great find for me. Thanks!
NETS-S 1,2,4, 5
NETS-T 1,2,3,4

Read, Write, Think has been a resource that I have used for some time.  I not only get great ideas for lessons but have used the printables and other resources to make modifications to gen ed lessons. Another plus for this website is that it clearly lists student objectives. This added bonus is utilized when I need to write custom goals and objectives for students.  Since I am called upon to modify often I have used this site as a guide for others so that they can learn to make the necessary changes for students on their own.  Teaching teachers this skill has been easier when I can use this site as a resource.
NETS-T 1,2,3,4,5
NETS-S 1,2,3,4


Here's a website I found that is chock full of so many opportunities for learning.
http://www.uptoten.com/  UpToTen has thousands of educational games and activities for children. Some of the actiivites are centered on computer navigational skills.  The site has 3 levels of participation - one of which is Free! 
NETS-S 1,2,3,4



No comments:

Post a Comment