Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Empowering Students with Technology

Alan November's book "Empowering Students with Technology" should be a must read for all teachers who plan on keeping up with the world of instant information. Which to me means all teachers!  In the first chapter, November enlightens the reader so that everyone will understand how to access the information and know how to determine if the source of the information is reputable. Clearly explained is the MAPping design which dissects the web address so that the user can fully understand where the information he or she is using is coming from.  This was a real eyeopener for me since I had never had all of this information explained to me in such a way that made sense. To me we should be teaching students these ideas in elementary  school so that they are ready to tckle the internet from the beginning of their research use.
 Chapter 2 of November's book gave more insight about the use of technology but from the communications and relationships perspective.  I was particularly interested in the use of technology to improve relationships between the family and the school.  I find it more productive to send an email to a parent about homework or a project but I have colleagues who will not communicate with parents through email due to the fear of being misinterpreted or misread.  In addition, November's link between the relationships and communication affirms that we are in need of more resources and the ability to share with each other ie lesson, projects, professional development is an opportunity we should not miss. Lastly Chapter 3,reminds us that we are life long learners. I am the perfect example. Five years ago, I would never have thought that I would be pursuing another degree.  However, it is the change that can bring a person to anew heights and if it requires us to think a little differently and give students some control over their own learning then we owe it to them to give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment