Friday, April 27, 2012

Survey: Educators lack training to teach online safety - USATODAY.com

Survey: Educators lack training to teach online safety - USATODAY.com


After reading this article while researching digital citizenship, I thought I would share the link.  At the beginning of this course I truly felt like one of the teachers in statement below.
"36% of teachers said they received zero hours of training by their school districts in the last year; 40% received one to three hours of training."  However, over the last weeks, I am so amazed at the amount of growth that I have experienced.  With that in mind, I believe we need to share our knowledge with our peers.   We can start out small and teach a few peers at a time. Tracy mentioned during the Skype on Wednesday, she is the only one in her building using technology. Teachers need to teach teachers.  If the districts are not going to provide proper training through district professional development, we will need to teach each other if we are going to hope to keep students informed and safe online. 

1 comment:

  1. Mary Ellen, when you have some time, check the videos I just posted on the course blog, Instructional Technology. The videos were made by students at the University of Alberta. I follow their instructor on Twitter, and at the end of each semester, I check out his students' videos summarizing their learning. The videos are powerful. Each is about 5 minutes, so watch them as your schedule permits. I only posted a few, but I have watched many made by students at University of Alberta. The videos remind us of how much is available online to help us become lifelong learners.

    ReplyDelete